Italian Soda: Berry Mint Mix

Do you ever get the craving for an Italian Soda? 
I do. 
And when I crave....I get! 

(Not really but it feels good to write that)



I strayed from the original recipe and added chocolate mint. The reason: the mint plant looked like a ragamuffin. Therefore, a "hair cut" was much needed. The mint plant thanked me later. 






I'm such a glutton, I couldn't make just one recipe. No, I had to make two recipes. Just in case I ran out...

*Hangs head in shame*

So I threw my delicious blackberries, raspberries and chocolate mint into a pot of 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar and I let it come to a boil. While the mixture was coming to temperature I "helped" by squishing the berries against the side of the pan. In my defense, it was to help the juices get into the simple syrup. 

Note: The whole house started to smell like berries and sugar. I think my brain took an inpromptu  trip to foodie heaven.






I then let the simple syrup chill (no pun intended) in the fridge for a few hours. 

When the syrup was done relaxing in the fridge I wanted to take the jar and drink that sugary goodness straight from the jar. I didn't because I have some self restraint. I finished following the recipe and then sat my cute self on a park bench and read a book. 





No comments: